Tina's Reviews > Interim Goddess of Love

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: filipino, 2012, contemporary, fantasy, best-2012, ya
Read on January 18, 2012

Original post at One More Page

You know a book is good when you go back and reread some most of the book the moment you're done. Sometimes it's just to read your favorite parts, but for others (especially for novellas), it's almost like reading the entire book because you just can't get enough of it and you want to relive the events of the book.

Such is Mina V. Esguerra's newest novel (and her YA debut), Interim Goddess of Love. College sophomore Hannah Maquiling is a scholar in exclusive Ford River College, and she's caught the eye of Joaquin Apolinario, aka Quin, one of the hottest guys in school. But it wasn't in a way that she (or anyone else) expected. She caught Quin's eye because Quin is also the Sun God, and he needs her to be the Interim Goddess of Love. The real Goddess of Love has gone missing, and someone needs to fill in her shoes for a while, and Hannah fits the bill. Hannah accepts (because the Sun God was nice, not to mention cute), and starts using her powers on Kathy Martin, a shy classmate who's all flustered about her secret admirer.

So cute. I've always loved Mina's books, but Interim Goddess of Love had me giggling and grinning when I was done (and when I was rereading some parts), almost like how I was when I was reading Fairy Tale Fail . I admit that I may have already loved Hannah before I read the book -- she had me at this: "She's never even had a boyfriend, but that doesn't stop people from spilling their guts to her, and asking for advice." But I loved her even more as I got to know her. Hannah's voice sounds authentic and different from other YA heroines -- it's nice to read someone who isn't too whiny and who doesn't sound too old for her age, too. She's a very likeable and reliable narrator, and she sounds like someone I would want to be friends with. It was so easy to stick with her and to root for her and hope for a happy ending for her. She's not perfect, but boy did I find her easy to relate to. :P

Speaking of happy endings, there are the boys. As usual, Mina created very crushable guys to go with her heroine, not just as romantic interests. I found it funny that one of the questions that came up while reading this book was "Who's your favorite?" That's because there's not one but three guys in the book, each with their own charm. I am particularly fond of Quin, but mostly because he's the one in spotlight, but the other two guys provide good contrast (and competition) for the god of the sun.

That's another thing to love about this book too: Interim Goddess of Love is not your usual contemporary YA romance because it had elements of Philippine mythology in it. Oh, you thought the gods and goddess reference were just figurative? It's not. It doesn't provide an in-depth discussion on Philippine mythology, but if just a taste of it, then you'll get just that in this book. Then like Hannah, you'd end up wanting to know more because there's just so much more to know. I look forward to reading more about them and how exactly they all relate to each other in the next books. :)

Interim Goddess of Love is another great book from Mina, and I still can't stop grinning when I think of my favorite scenes. My only wish was it was longer because I definitely wanted more when I was done. I am so glad that this is the first book of a planned series and that the next book will be released later this year. I can't wait to read about Hannah's next goddess project (and more Quin moments, hihi :"> ).

ETA: Okay, no more excuses not to get this title -- You can get Interim Goddess of Love for free from Amazon until January 28! Get it now! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interim Goddess of Love.

Quotes Tina Liked

Mina V. Esguerra
“Some girls can't stand to be around the guy they like. They get really nervous, and rather than make fools of themselves, they just stay away. I was the opposite; the more I liked a guy, the more I wanted to be around him. I was the type who'd join the same org, or pick the same elective. Sure I was probably looking like a fool five times a day over a bunch of things, but I liked being close to someone I admired.”

Mina V. Esguerra
“Because, though I'd seen and felt just a fraction of all the love in the world, I knew that when people thought of love they thought of moments. Whether or not a marriage worked out, or if they stayed together after graduation, or if they did go to the big dance together, the story's end mattered less, and the highlights in between mattered more. Those are what lingered, and what people can go back to, even when they had nothing left.”
tags: love

Mina V. Esguerra
“It still stung, knowing that he would rather see me with someone else than give me my moment, but I had to be mature about it. It wasn't about me.”

01/18/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Wow, 5 stars, Tina! I've never heard of this author but it sounds super cute. :)

Tina Wendy Darling wrote: "Wow, 5 stars, Tina! I've never heard of this author but it sounds super cute. :)"

It's my first 5 star this year. :) Mina is one of my favorite Filipino authors. Some her books (this, Fairy Tale Fail and Love Your Frenemies) are available for 99 cents on Amazon. And yes, this is super cute! :D