Lady Book Voodoo & Hoodoo Review's Reviews > The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red

The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer by Joyce Reardon

Jan 15, 2012

bookshelves: read-then-review
Read in January, 2002

** Lady Journal Review **

At the turn of the twentieth century, Ellen Rimbauer became the young bride of Seattle industrialist John Rimbauer, and began keeping a remarkable diary.
This diary became the secret place where Ellen could confess her fears of the new marriage, her confusion over her emerging sexuality, and the nightmare that her life would become. The diary not only follows the development of a girl into womanhood, it follows the construction of the Rimbauer mansion called Rose Redan enormous home that would be the site of so many horrific and inexplicable tragedies in the years ahead. The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red is a rare document, one that gives us an unusual view of daily life among the aristocracy in the early 1900s, a window into one woman’s hidden emotional torment, and a record of the mysterious events at Rose Red that scandalized Seattle society at the time events that can only be fully understood now that the diary has come to light. I believe that this was made prior to movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer.