Nora St Laurent's Reviews > Summer Snow

Summer Snow by Nicole Baart

Jul 03, 08

"After the Leaves Fall" is the first book in this series. "Summer Snow" is the second book. In the beginning of this book the main character Julia realizes she has made some bad choices in her life and she is going to have to live with them. Not just survive, but finally accept who she is and what the future holds for her. She's a brave young woman and doing very well living this unexpected life until her mother shows up on her front porch. What did she want after all this time? It was such a shock – Julia couldn't believe it was really Janice!

Julia’s mother, Janice, wants a relationship with her, but how can that work? Julia thinks it’s a little late for that to happen. In the middle of this very strained situation I love how Julia's Grandma prays one night "We thank You, Lord, for this day. For its blessings, its trials, and Your hand in it all..". I’ll say, Amen to that. This had Julia and Janice thinking!

Julia was in the middle of a whirlwind; memories were eating her alive. She was stuck and couldn't make sense of these feelings or what she thought of any of this. She had to get unglued from the past. She didn't realize how hurt she was until her mother walked back into her life like she had just seen her yesterday. It's been 10 years! It’s then that Julia realizes she has spent more than 10 years of her life feeding a bitter root she had towards her mother. She had to cut the root in order to be set free. She couldn’t let these feelings keep her stuck in the past any longer.

Julia begins to learn about "Freely Given"grace. Undeserved. Extravagant. Easier said than done by Julia. She had some hard choices to make in her life. Many things happen in this story that lead Julia to understand what really happened between her mother and father all those years ago. This gets Julia to look at her mother in a new light - through the Light of the eyes grace not the world - and to give away what has been freely given to her by her grandmother. It’s then Julia realizes that she is not alone and it's ok to admit these haunting feelings in order to move on. That's what she really wants - to be the best 'Julia' she can be for the upcoming challenges that she is about to face. It can’t be done on her own strength Julia knows that now. This might be the hardest thing she’s ever had to do.

This novel ended with me wanting more. It also makes me want to read the first book in this series, "After the Leaves Fall", to find out about Julia's life before her mother abandoned her 10 years earlier. It definitely left me wanting to read the third book in this series to see how things turn out.
Nora St.Laurent
Book Club Servant Leader
www.psalm516.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Snow.