Spudsie's Reviews > The Eyre Affair

Jul 03, 2008

Recommended to Spudsie by: Jim Smith
Recommended for: Anyone who appreciates British humor
Read in July, 2008

What a fun concept! It's science fiction, literature, adventure, romance and time-traveling all in one. AND.....there's the classic dry British sense of humor.

What more could a gal ask for??

While I'm positive I missed some of the humor (since I live in "one of the colonies" instead of in the UK), I really enjoyed the dry humor I managed to spot throughout “The Eyre Affair.”

A fellow bookworm suggested I might enjoy this book after I submitted “Jane Eyre” for his summer reading list. Spot on recommendation! I don’t think he realized quite how many favorite areas this book would hit for me. For light reading I love sci-fi, mystery, humor, a little light romance, lots of unusual characters and unexpected twists. And this book delivered all of that!

Granted, it didn’t inspire me to make notes in the book, mark passages that really made me think “deep thoughts” or exclaim “wow…wow…wow….I’d never thought of that before” but it was a terrific summer read. And I read it only a few weeks after finishing “The Time Traveler’s Wife” – which had left me yearning for more. So it was really fun to be welcomed back into a world where time travel is an accepted reality.

The only downside to “The Eyre Affair?” Sigh. Double sigh. Now I want to visit Thornfield Hall and meet Mr. Rochester and Jane in person! I find myself longing to jump through the pages of my books to actually live in their reality. Sigh. How sad to live in a world where that possibility is only alive in a world of fiction. To live in a world where my reality is limited to the here and now.

Or is it?

Hmmmmmm…..maybe this light summer read is causing deep thoughts after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.