Laura's Reviews > Pamela. Or, Virtue Rewarded

Pamela. Or, Virtue Rewarded by Samuel Richardson

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: english, things-that-are-bad
Recommended to Laura by: Prof. Bob Markley.
Recommended for: People who like to read things to mock them
Read in January, 1990 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have not read this book for 20 years, and I am still appalled by it. The tale of a virtuous servant girl, who does no apparent work other than avoiding the young lord of the manor's lustful advances, averts rape by fortuitous fainting, and is dissuaded from escaping a manor she is imprisoned in after a kidnapping by a cow. In a field. Because they used to breed English servant girls that way. Or something.

Seemingly written without irony. Per Prof. Bob Markley, you used to be able to by china patterns inspired by it -- "The Burger King glasses of the day," IIRC.

Fortunately, parodies came hard and fast.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pamela. Or, Virtue Rewarded.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Plein "Recommended for: People who like to read things to mock them"

I am impressed with your ability to read the whole thing.

Laura I doubt seriously I could have but for it being assigned in an awesome class.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Plein "...is dissuaded from escaping a manor she is imprisoned in after a kidnapping by a cow. In a field. Because they used to breed English servant girls that way. Or something."

Wait, the cow dissuades her from escaping? What?

Laura Oh yes. Her boss/would be seducer/would-be rapist (except for the fact she faints, 'cause that works) kidnaps her. She has a chance to escape. And yet -- there's a cow! in the yard! between her and the gate! eek! So she stays put.

Buffy would not have handled it that way.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Plein She is less than suitable as a role model for modern girls.

Laura Jason wrote: "She is less than suitable as a role model for modern girls."

Well said, old chum. Well said. Makes me realize that some of my intense dislike of Twilight comes from some previously-unconscious association I have between Bella and Pamela. Hurm.

Laura viz, "Monsters want to eat me! I shall swoon!"