Rebecca Radnor's Reviews > Why We Buy: The Science Of Shopping

Why We Buy by Paco Underhill

Quick easy read that I would suggest to every adult who holds a job. Underhill is an anthropologist who studies what does and does not work in terms of increasing sales to your customers who have already walked into the store, but its stuff that could be applicable in classrooms to public spaces. He looks at what does or does not make people comfortable, where you should or should not put a sign to ensure it gets read, understanding who buys what and making it easier for them to buy it, etc. Its full of surprising and sometimes counterintuitive findings that if you really think about them make perfect sense. Such ask, giving up a little counter space to allow a customer to put down their bags at a checkout can actually increase how quickly they can pay, thereby increasing sales per hour (we all know that if the line is too long customers will put down their purchases and leave), putting signs where people are busy or distracted is just clutter, putting it where they are captive/bored audience is actually appreciated (gives them something to look at).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Buy.

03/09/2013