Robert Zoltan's Reviews > Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read from January 15 to 20, 2012

So far, the most boring Bond book. I'm on page 135, which is more than halfway through and almost nothing has happened. I'm not complaining of a lack of melodramatic action or violence, but much anything at all. Fleming often takes time with description and character building and I'm fine with that. He's a good descriptive writer. In From Russia With Love, Bond doesn't even appear till around page 100, but it was a really absorbing book.

In Diamonds Are Forever, he gives endless descriptions and scenes of various aspects of America, including the horse racing scene and Las Vegas. And he goes into far too much detail of Bond having dinners and drinks repeatedly with an Felix Leiter. The details of what they eat and drink aren't interesting after awhile and their conversations aren't much better.

I don't like stopping this far into a book, but life is too short. I would highly recommend the other Bond books I've read. Fleming is a good writer. This is just not his best, to say the least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diamonds Are Forever.

01/15/2012 page 135