Karlene Browning's Reviews > Bitter Blessings

Bitter Blessings by Christine Mehring

Jan 15, 12

Read in January, 2012

I didn't think I would like this novel--it started a little slow for me; I knew it was going to end up as a Mormon conversion story and I was expecting cliché; and it just sounded like it was going to be totally depressing. I went into it only because my arm was twisted.

BUT. Wow. I really liked it. It starts with Megan's mother dying. Then she loses her job. Then her sister spins out of control. Then she discovers an old family secret. A small part of me was thinking, this is too crazy to be realistic, but the rest of me was right there in the story, believing every bit of it.

I liked the characters. It pulled at my heartstrings without being maudlin. The conversion was believable without being preachy. Yes, there were a few places where I thought it missed - like I don't really believe Megan could go so many years without knowing Adam was LDS, and sometimes she seemed a little too old for a teenager - but overall, I liked it.

Good story for LDS teens, and others who are looking for a clean, faith-based story with a positive end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Blessings.