Simcsa's Reviews > The Deliverer

The Deliverer by Jason D. Morrow

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal, read-in-2012, read-in-english, supernatural-creatures, witches-wizards, high-fantasy
Read from March 15 to 25, 2012

After a series of strange events, Silas Ainsley realizes that he is not a normal seventeen-year-old. In his journey to escape from two mysterious headhunters, Silas discovers his life and death are key to saving an entire world, called Marenon, from darkness and destruction.

The only way to get to Marenon is to die, and Silas has just arrived.

I really like it, but it has its flaws.

1. The author made it easier for himself by not including any Silas' or Garland's friends from their life on the Earth. There have never been mentioned any friends, yet after living in the same place for 17 years, Silas had to have some.

2. Silas had been fencing with his grandfather Garland Ainsley almost every day from his childhood. That's the reason why he was such a good fighter in Marenon. However, no teenager would be willing to fence with his grandpa instead of going out, especially if there is no reason why he should do it (Garland hadn't told him about Marenon).

"He had trained long and hard with Garland and had become an expert swordsman and fighter. He could track beasts with the best of them and his marksmanship was unmatched, but Silas had never killed a man." (chapter one)

3. The concept of the novel is that when someone dies there is a chance he will get to Marenon. It's a kind of second chance for those who died young. However, that's not the only way to get to Marenon. There is also a gate. The problem is that I don't have any idea what happens with their bodies. When someone dies his body stays on the Earth. Do they get a new one in Marenon? I could presume that their existence in Marenon is purely spiritual, but it doesn't work either. Take for instance Garland. Originally, he had lived on the Earth. When he died he got to Marenon. But after a time he passed through the gate back to the Earth and then he died again and got back to Marenon. Did he get a new body each time?

4. What is behind the borders of Marenon? Ocean? This is just a minor complaint but I would like to know it neverthless.

"One could travel by foot and reach any point in Marenon within a week's time." (chapter twenty-one)

Despite all this, The Deliverer is quite a good debut and it surely deserves more attention. With its considerably original setting and imaginative creatures, I recommend it to all fantasy lovers, but not to paranormal romance lovers because there is no romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deliverer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Nicely reviewed, Simsca. :)

Simcsa Thankies :))

Thomas I fear you might have missed something. It was never stated that the only way to Marenon was to die, just that some people come to Marenon after they do. Regarding the flaws you've pointed out; remember that this is the first book of a series, there is plenty of room to satisfy those in the books to come (I can assure you that at least some of them will be satisfied in the next book). Regarding the second flaw, perhaps you're forgetting that Silas lived in the middle of nowhere. A teenager would definitely rather hang out with friends than train, but Silas was raised that way, you'd be surprised at the extreme lifestyles some people grow up in. Regarding the fourth, the map would seem to indicate that it's surrounded by ocean, but then again it's also referred to as a "world," still, I think you're sidetracking, If there is a land beyond Marenon in the same world, and it becomes important, than I think that will be a failing of the author, as Marenon has much to offer. If it doesn't exist or never becomes important, than this 'flaw' is irrelevant.

I hope this doesn't sound excessively like a condemnation, you raise good points, and I only hope to offer counterpoint to them.

message 4: by Simcsa (last edited Jul 21, 2012 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Simcsa Thomas wrote: "I fear you might have missed something. It was never stated that the only way to Marenon was to die, just that some people come to Marenon after they do."

If I remember correctly there were two ways to get from the Earth to Marenon and I stated both of them in my review. You can get there either by dying, or by passing through a gate.

Thomas wrote: "Regarding the second flaw, perhaps you're forgetting that Silas lived in the middle of nowhere. A teenager would definitely rather hang out with friends than train, but Silas was raised that way, you'd be surprised at the extreme lifestyles some people grow up in."

I don't remember any mention of living in the middle of nowhere, but it's possible that I overlooked it and if I did, then he could have trained that much, still even if they lived in the middle of nowhere, there would have to be a town somewhere nearby, because they had to buy food, garments, gas and another necessary stuff and also what about Silas and compulsory education? He would have made friends at school and hung out with them. That's how I see it and if it isn't so then I'm sorry but that's what I perceived while reading the book.

Thomas wrote: "Regarding the fourth, the map would seem to indicate that it's surrounded by ocean, but then again it's also referred to as a "world," still, I think you're sidetracking..."

I wrote it's just a minor complaint and I mean it. Maybe someone else wouldn't even realize it, but I did and I wanted to know details - land or ocean? If ocean, are there some islands, another nations? I wanted to know. (after you mentioned it, I looked at the map again and it's true that it indicates that Marenon is surrounded by ocean, I hadn't seen that before.)

Thomas wrote: "Regarding the flaws you've pointed out; remember that this is the first book of a series, there is plenty of room to satisfy those in the books to come (I can assure you that at least some of them will be satisfied in the next book)"

Maybe it will be addressed maybe it won't, this is a review of the first book, not the entire series.