Angela's Reviews > Under Suspicion

F_50x66
May 24, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from May 19 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

While the author did keep me interested enough to read through the whole book and I'm still hoping that the next book will be worth the read, I was really irritated with this one. Sophie walks a fine line between adorably awkward and an irritating waste of space. The first two books dealt with it well and you loved that the character wasn't just another female kick ass urban fantasy hero. That was washed away in this one as she deluded herself and therefore us about her feelings, stuffed her face with junk and let her best friend treat her like a neglected pet dog. The second half of chapter 14 should never have been allowed in the book. Basically, in about 4 pages she established that all of the characters close friends think she has the mental capacity of a hysterical cabbage. Shouldn't she have established some credibility from the first two novels? The 'Chicken Little/sky is falling' mentality of the first three quarters of the book got old real fast.

My take away impression of the book, is that she really wanted to write the fourth book. Several events happen in this one that were dealt with in a certain amount of detail and then dropped like a rock and never mentioned again. Unfortunately, these were the parts that made me continue the book and be interested in what happened next. Guess that will have to wait until the next release :)

As much as I had to rant a little about what bothered me in this book, I have to give credit to the writer. To feel as strongly as I do about what bothered me but still have me care what happens next should be an indication of how well she writes these people. The first two books made me very happy. Hopefully, the next one will too.

p.s. I find the discrepancy between the character in the book and the covers to be hilarious. Part of the whole point of the book is that she ISN'T like the picture portrayed on the cover. Advertising at it's best, I suppose :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Suspicion.