Ryan Mishap's Reviews > Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter

Waiter Rant by The Waiter

Jan 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: personal-writing

A random find resulting from my habit of wandering the aisles at the library and letting things catch my eye. An upscale restaurant in New York with celebrity clientele is far removed from my kitchen experiences in podunk towns but I've read dishwasher's accounts in zines quite a bit and I wondered what a waiter might say.

The service industry is its own special place, perched on the edge of hell (customers), and the writer establishes that waiters are in their own category. There are plenty of gross anecdotes, tyrannical bosses, and crappy customers to be found, but I identified more with his loneliness and sense of failure. The coldness of realizing that what had been a stop-gap job until he figured out what he wanted to do became what he did burns, but I don't identify with his preferred method of ameliorating this pain--lap dances.

I would recommend this not only for those who have worked the industry and those who avail themselves of it daily or weekly, but also for the cynical humanness of the author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiter Rant.

03/27/2016 marked as: read