Kristin's Reviews > Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives: A Holistic Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth

Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives by Deepak Chopra

F_50x66
Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: parenting
Read in January, 2012

First of all, no, I'm not pregnant. That was probably the hardest/most awkward part about reading this book, carrying it around and having people assume that I was pregnant. That being said, I really enjoyed this book. It's 80% common sense for healthy living, and about 20% baby stuff. For example, you should eat a balanced diet. It's good for the baby. Gotcha. The book is more interesting than that, but you get the idea. It goes into more depth about diet, the importance of exercise and specific exercises you can be doing (hello, kegels!), meditation/stress reducing techniques, self-massage, how to effectively communicate, fetal development, and the general road map of labor. I have to throw out a kudos to the author for emphasizing flexibility in a birth plan. So often you hear about people being stuck on having an all natural childbirth, and then they are devastated if something varies from their plan. While the book does support trying to reduce/eliminate medical intervention, it 1) gives you techniques to help increase the likelihood of this happening, but 2) makes it clear that how you birth your baby is your choice and no matter how it happens, you get a baby in the end. I also learned about some useful herbs (I need to start drinking nettle tea for vein elasticity - varicose veins run in the family).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magical Beginnings, Enchanted Lives.