Michele Harrod's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Jan 15, 2012

Read in February, 2012

Young Adult Novel. Wow. This was a one sitting book - that grabbed me by the throat and kept me reading to the very end. A fantastic insight into the mind of a teenage girl suffering anorexia. But also a truly moving glimpse into families who love their children, but find themselves incapable of showing it in ways the children need, at the power of friendship, the pressure placed on young children to 'fit in'. This was just so well written - I could almost feel her hunger pains, and I found myself having an unnerving respect for her choice of format for her 'scream' to be heard - (albeit such a terrible and self harming one). Which is really what this illness is all about. To finally be heard, or to disappear completely in the silence of "nothing" that is your life.

I would definitely recommend this for any teenager struggling with food in any way, be it starving themselves, binging, or overeating. For anyone with friends who are showing signs of anorexia or bulimia, for any adult either working with children or with kids of their own, when their kid's actions are leaving them bewildered.

Ultimately, this story came down to the simple fact that life is a 'choice' - and living it, or going through it half dead, is all down to the person who's life it is.

An absolute triumph. "I am spinning the silk threads of my story, weaving the fabric of my world. The tiny elf dancer became a wooden dool whose strings were jerked by people not paying attentioin. I spun out of control. Eating was hard. Breathing was hard. Living was hardest."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.