Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > Play It Safe

Play It Safe by Kristen Ashley

Jan 16, 12

Read from January 15 to 16, 2012

"I know somethin' led you to that life but I look at you, nothin' hard about you, not your attitude, not your mouth, not your eyes, nothin'. Whatever led you to that life wasn't good but you didn't let it make you hard. There'll come a time when you'll give that to me. And you take your time, Ivey, I'll wait."

I really wanted this story to shine but it didn't.

I think this is the best "quote" of Play it Safe. Recently I said that Kristen put me straight to reader's heaven. I know she does it all the time and I'm sure she will do it again! But with Play it Safe I came back to reality. Rather unpleasantly. It pains me to admit it but my main problem was that I couldn't warm up to the characters. Grayson is totally pale compared to Tate and other wonderful KA heroes and the heroine was too weepy for my liking! Ok, maybe this is my bad; maybe I just didn't feel it. What I was missing really badly were the great dialogs. I couldn't find them. I liked one of the secondary characters, Lash. He's gay and a very caring and protective guy. Other than that, it is just difficult to point out things that I liked.

I didn't like the first half of the story. It fell flat and I was kinda bored. Fortunately it did improve during the second half. However, I caught myself skimming lines and that's not good. I was never really excited, and I never felt this warm and fuzzy feeling in my belly. Good things come to those who wait. Yes, I've waited. I was looking for something special to happen. Obviously, I just couldn't find the KA magic spell this time, and I really hope it'll come back again. Soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play It Safe.

01/15/2012
36.0% "It pains me to admit it but I just don't feel it. I can't warm up to the characters." 2 comments
01/15/2012
60.0% "I didn't like the first half of the book; I just couldn't warm up to the characters. It seems that the second half of the story is way better. However, Play it Safe won't be on my keeper shelf, that's for sure." 16 comments
01/16/2012
95.0% "Hmmmm...."

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Nooooooooooo.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kim-wilts-for-kilts wrote: "Nooooooooooo."

Yeeeeeees, Kim. That's really sad. Hey, maybe you're going to love it...

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Dang! Some books just don't work.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I don't know what to say. I guess I will have to try the first few chapters. :(

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Ladies, I didn't like the first half of the book but the second half seems to be better. It got interesting. I just want to love all her books and it is kinda hard to admit that you're reading something that doesn't live up to your expectations. Do you know what I mean? Maybe it's a mistake but I had such high expectations...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kim-wilts-for-kilts wrote: "I don't know what to say. I guess I will have to try the first few chapters. :("

You can read the first few chapters via her website, Kim!

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim okie dokie

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Wonderful honest review Baba! Sorry, it didn't work out for you this time. But as you said "good things, come to those who wait." Maybe the next one will be good. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wendy wrote: "Wonderful honest review Baba! Sorry, it didn't work out for you this time. But as you said "good things, come to those who wait." Maybe the next one will be good. :)"

Thank you, Wendy! Honest to God, it pains me to write such a boring review! I feel bad about it but what the heck...it's better to be honest. You know I had to put Rock Chick Revenge aside to read Play it Safe. Guess what? I love Rock Chick Revenge and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Again. So no worries! The spell will come back again.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Wonderful review as usual Baba. And although I did find the first half slower and the second half more engrossing, I still really liked this.

No author is ever going to do it for a reader 100% of the time, but KA is still one of the best contemporary romance writers out there.

message 11: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie You go Baba!!! I totally know how you feel. I had to give Heaven and Hell a semi-negative review too and it just broke my heart to say anything bad about K.A. But I just had to get it out!

Nikki Katie wrote: "You go Baba!!! I totally know how you feel. I had to give Heaven and Hell a semi-negative review too and it just broke my heart to say anything bad about K.A. But I just had to get it out!"

I felt similarly, Katie. Once I finished H&H I was left feeling bemused and my review reflected that a little bit, I think. But then after a few days it had sunk in how amazing the H&H story was and couldn't stop thinking about Sam - he was brilliant - he got to me bad.

I think my issue was perhaps that I couldn't connect with the emotions of the characters in the last third. I don't know... it was strange, can't pinpoint it. I gave it 4.5 and 4 GR stars, though because again... the story, Sam, Kia = a-muh-zing.

Nikki Awesome, honest, succinct review Babs. Chin up, darling, cos we can't love every KA book and I can definitely feel how this pains you.

Back to Rock Chick Revenge! Enjoy my lovely.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "Wonderful review as usual Baba. And although I did find the first half slower and the second half more engrossing, I still really liked this.

No author is ever going to do it for a reader 100% of..."

Thanks, Jill! I don't think it's a wonderful review but it's just honest. I agree that Kristen is one of the best contemporary authors out there! Despite this less than good story she stays one of my favorite authors!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Katie wrote: "You go Baba!!! I totally know how you feel. I had to give Heaven and Hell a semi-negative review too and it just broke my heart to say anything bad about K.A. But I just had to get it out!"

Thanks for sharing my pain, Katie! I'm just gonna move on. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nikki wrote: "Awesome, honest, succinct review Babs. Chin up, darling, cos we can't love every KA book and I can definitely feel how this pains you.

Back to Rock Chick Revenge! Enjoy my lovely."

Thanks, Nikki sweets! Everyone's opinion is bound to be subjective, and I think that's fair and alright. Next one will be better...Yes, back to Rock Chick Revenge! It rocks!!

KatLynne Great review Baba! Sorry this one didn't work for you!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter KatLynne wrote: "Great review Baba! Sorry this one didn't work for you!"

Thanks, KatLynne! I felt really bad that I didn't like it. Whatever, I'm already back on track with another KA story. :)

KatLynne Don't feel bad Baba. Isn't it strange what appeals to us in a book...lol One thing we know for sure is that we love most of KAs stories and always come back for more. Thanks again for introducing me to this amazing author!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter KatLynne wrote: "Don't feel bad Baba. Isn't it strange what appeals to us in a book...lol One thing we know for sure is that we love most of KAs stories and always come back for more. Thanks again for introducing ..."

Oh, KatLynne, you're very welcome! LOL And it is so true what you said! Of course I will always come back for more... :))

message 21: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Feb 15, 2012 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Huh, Somehow I missed your review. Not sure how that happened. I knew there was a KA book, other than some of the RC, you weren't a huge fan of and gave it 3 stars. I went looking for the book and found it. I wanted to know which book to put off until other books were read. Lol. Wonderful and honest review, Baba!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Holy crap! You didn't like this KA book? lol

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "Huh, Somehow I missed your review. Not sure how that happened. I knew there was a KA book, other than some of the RC, you weren't a huge fan of and gave it 3 stars. I went looking for the book and ..."

Thank you, Kristen! I hope I didn't spoil it for you. Just give it a try and maybe you'll love it. Many readers did love this story.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Holy crap! You didn't like this KA book? lol"

Taryn at My Secret Romance Baba wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Holy crap! You didn't like this KA book? lol"

LOL I couldn't believe it myself, Taryn! It was pretty painful to accept it. Yeah, you can't love them all..."

hahah no, no you can't. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Nice review, Baba. I actually loved this story, but can understand why some did not. And I love that quote. Something about Gray just grabbed me and never let go!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Nice review, Baba. I actually loved this story, but can understand why some did not. And I love that quote. Something about Gray just grabbed me and never let go!"

Thanks, Dhes! I was a bit surprised that I didn't really like it. Well, it happens from time to time... :)

Michele ~ la Smoocherina Thanks for the honest review.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Michele from Read Our Lips Book Blog wrote: "Thanks for the honest review."

You're welcome, Michele. :-)