Alicia's Reviews > A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story

A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: adult, abuse, boy, historical, multicultural, nonfiction, politics
Read on January 15, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The Lost Boys, like Ishmael Beah's work, document young boys forced to wander in Sudan, Ethiopia and Kenya to find refuge from their war-torn areas of Sudan during the conflict between the north and south (Muslim and inter-faith). So Salva's story is simple, a boy forced to run from his school as rebels rode up with guns, only to wander with different bands of people, his Uncle at one point, and another boy, similar in age who sadly was taken in the night by a lion.

It is a very simple story, which at it's base is the moving part, but I can understand that the memoir does have elements of fictionalization. It's hard to imagine the kind of daily horror he went through until being chosen to come to America and live in Rochester. Wonderfully, Salva did discover his father and mother were still alive and did reunite several times with them, but it still does not erase the horror of being herded into the river with crocodiles or walking long distances in the distance seeing others succumb to the elements.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Walk to Water.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie I really liked this book - and it's getting more attention than I thought it would in my library - which is always a good thing!