Kristine's Reviews > Halt's Peril

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: e-book, young-adult, fantasy-scifi
Read in February, 2012

Dr. Mr. Flanagan,

Once upon I time I stumbled upon a little book called "Ranger's Apprentice". It seemed like an early-ya-fantasy that had a lot of potential as a series. I loved the world building, the characters and their potential, and the setting. I decided to play along. I mean, this could be the start of a great relationship where I may even elevate a series from "read" to "must-own".

Soon I began to be disappointed. I am not a big fan of cliffhangers. One should be able to tell a full story with beginning, middle, and end - and have it contained within one book. If this is not possible, then perhaps combining two books into one complete story is possible, yes?

I can tell you (and likely your editors) tried to keep them short. This seems like a series for young boys - and, well, we musn't confuse them with long stories, shall we? And to boot when you make little books, but twice as many of them . . . shouldn't it reason you can milk the cash cow for twice as much, no? Whatever the reason. Not impressed. 11 books? You've overstayed your welcome by at least 6.

I guess many people would classify me as a whiny adult who projects too-high-of-expectations on children's literature. I must say I read quite a bit of middle-grade literature. Excellence is there - you may have to search for it, but I've found middle-grade and ya lit to often have such a high quality of writing: the voice, setting, plot, character development, etc. can often exceed 95% of adult books. So, yes, I'll be frank, I had higher expectations. And yet I determined to push through.

I became disgruntled at your books # 5-7-6 switcheroo. AFTER you wrote #6, had it edited and published, you STILL decide to go back and tell story #5.5 with book #7. {GRRRR} I feel hate bubbling up inside - THIS SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE. Did you not diagram or map out your story, to - ya know - make sure you didn't leave any gaping holes (?) BEFORE you wrote the books????

At this point I figure I'm close to finishing I might as well slog through. Well guess what? Your plotlines are predictiable, your conflicts are basic, your jokes are over-explained, and your characters are flat. Every time you set your characters up for actual complexity it was shuttled away and tied with a bow.

I know there are two more books, but . . . I am done. I liked the series ok. I good fantasy intro for boys (?) I guess. But my mother was reading Lord of the Rings to my bros when they were 8 and 11, so take that for what it's worth.

I shall go forward pretending like books #10 & #11 don't exist; because quite frankly if I were forced to read them, and if I ever met you, I might punch you in the face (just kidding, I wouldn't. I would apathetically walk away, though).

Sincerely,

Kristine A.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halt's Peril.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trent (new)

Trent Mikesell I read the first two and had no desire to continue.