Oriyah Nitkin's Reviews > Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing up Groovy and Clueless

Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress by Susan Jane Gilman

Feb 02, 12

bookshelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Read from January 31 to February 02, 2012

This was my second time through this book, so perhaps my impressions are slightly skewed. After all, I remember reading it and LOVING it, but none of the details seemed to stick, so the point where each page brought new surprises.

The beginning of the book entirely lived up to my (admittedly high) expectations. Towards the middle, when the author starts recounting her teenage years and early adulthood, things seemed to start heading downhill. The writing, which I'd found brilliantly light-hearted, charming, and entertaining, became suddenly a caricature of itself, as if the author was turning verbal summer-saults to keep the reader entertained, as the story in and of itself was not enough to keep you interested.

I enjoyed the book nonetheless, but found it to be a bit too needlessly obscene and crass for my taste. A friend gave me her old copy as a gift, and I was really excited. After giving the book another whirl-through, I'm ready to pass it along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress.

01/31/2012 page 62