Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Last Rite

Last Rite by Lisa Desrochers

reviewed for MM's by Sophie

Dear Frannie,

When I read Personal Demons, I had to write a letter to Luc because, well a) I’m a Mundie Mom and b) Demon Boys usually spell trouble. But, Luc was lovely and conflicted and oh, Frannie, I know you know exactly what I’m talking about. And yes, he still spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e.

Katie wrote a letter to your author, Lisa Desrochers, after she finished Original Sin, because let’s face it, Katie was in still in shock at the ending.

I decided to write this letter to you because you are no longer the naïve, young girl we met in Personal Demons. Oh no, Frannie, you are mature and apprehensive and fiercely protective of the ones you love. And Mundie Moms have to love that.

When all Hell, literally breaks loose, you hold your own. Okay quick aside, kiddo. Gabe? Gabe? Gabe! I didn’t expect he’d cause me to tear up. I know why you love him – his protection and safety (okay, and hotness) made me understand the sacrifice he made to stay with you. He spells trouble in an entirely different way.

I don’t want to give anything away, but there’s a Really Bad Guy in the story and the way Lisa presented him quickly made him one of my very favorite antagonists. I have a long list, trust me on this, and he remains near the top. He was untrustworthy and seductive and OMHeavens funny. Yes, in the middle of a holy-heck-what-is-going-to-happen-here scene, I found myself giggling out loud. Be sure to tell Lisa that part because her comic timing was pitch-perfect.

Frannie, may I mention your family? You know how much I love them (and particularly, Grandpa) and there’s a lovely back-story that made everything make so much sense. Again, I have to thank Lisa because she revealed pieces of a puzzle in the midst of an action sequence that didn’t let up, and I got to have that amazing feeling of “OOOOOOH, I get it.”

I need to end this before I give up spoilers (I’ve already edited out a few). I only have one question left – who was the better kisser, Luc or Gabe? Oh, never mind, I think a little demon may have whispered the answer in my ear.

(Aside to MMs: If you love angel-demon mythology (and I know you do), go pick up the Personal Demons series. You guys need to meet Luc, Gabe and Frannie. This summer, turn up the air conditioning and enjoy one hell of a ride.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Rite.