Livvy 's Reviews > Betrayal in Death

Betrayal in Death by J.D. Robb

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: crime, romance, favorites, library-book, kick-ass-female-lead, 5-stars
Read from January 18 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Eve faces a challenge very different in this installment with the very suspect in her sight from the start, but the actual location and motivation behind everything take much longer to concure and unravel which takes on a new light to Robert's series. Not only this, but Eve has to deal with a very different emotion "worry" for Roarke and it causes excitement to watch her deal as well as take on a role of a more human being I'd say when she connects with Peabody over some icecream. I particularly enjoyed this development to Eve's character representing a softer side that Peabody doesn't always see.
The characterization of Roarke was further developed in this novel, where one of his childhood friends is introduced to the story line. It happens to be an air of mystery hangs around this person and it certainly adds to the thrills and excitments of the story.
I've always found myself enthralled with the engima of Roarke and Eve's relationship and this particular installment further cements a solid foundation to the bricks in which their marriage is built upon. In particular role reversal in their marriage seems to occur in many places where Even becomes the concerned for Roarke who is very much centre of attention in this novel.
I find the more detail we gain of Roarke's past to add to his character and lift another layer of mystery that resides around him while unlocking to Eve a side she possibly didn't quite understand.
Although if you're rather squemish, faint-hearted or don't like descriptive rape scens this installment really isn't for you. From a personal perspective I find the gruesome details always heighten the experience of reading and allow you to delve into the story, but very little in fiction truly repulses me.
Once again the comical aspect of the story was central with the mounting tensions, frustrations and miscommunications between Peabody and McNab led to some interesting scences and crosses between the two, whilst Eve's recurring hate for beauty treatment had me laughing aloud at the "Jackass" on her butt.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayal in Death.

01/18/2012 page 96
27.0% "Man, I just love these books, they get more and more exciting with the gruesome storylines and exciting twists. I'm not a fan of Nora Roberts, but when she becomes J.D Robb to write the "in Death" series, I can't get enough!"
01/20/2012 page 248
70.0% "Ohh, damn. This murderer better not go after Eve, 'cos she'll kick his butt!"
show 1 hidden update…