Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS's Reviews > The Angel Experiment

The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

Jul 09, 2012

bookshelves: maximum-ride, awesomest-books-ever-read, favorites, girl-heros
Read from July 06 to 09, 2012 , read count: 2

Loved at the minute I read the first page and couldn't get enough!

This book is in the first person view of a 14-year-old girl named Maximum Ride. There are five other main characters: Iggy, The Gasman, Angel, Nudge, and Fang. Here's a twist: They aren't normal kids. They're all 2% avian.

The book has to main conflicts. In part 1 and 2, it's rescuing Angel. In parts 3 and 4, it's finding out more about their parents. The book takes place in the US, mostly in California and New York.

The book's start is fun, has some laughs, and it gets to the action quick. The end of it, of course, makes me want to second book. Which I need to get from a library. *mumbles* The book has good laughs to even out the action. There're good scenes and lots of action. My favorite character has to Max or Iggy.

Here's a quote from the book that I laughed and smiled at...

'I took a bite of cookie and chewed. “Hmmm,” I said, trying not to spit crumbs. “Clear vanilla notes, too-sweet chocolate chips, distinct flavor of brown sugar. A decent cookie, not spectacular. Still, a good-hearted cookie, not pretentious.” I turned to Fang. “What say you?”
“It’s fine.”
Some people just don’t have what it takes to appreciate a cookie.'

If that didn't make you smile, trust me, something in the book will. ;) I recommend to adults, teens, and possibly 7-year-olds. If not 7, 8 and up.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel Experiment.

Quotes Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS Liked

James Patterson
“Yes!” said Fang, punching the air. “Freaks rule.”

James Patterson
“I feel like, like pudding," Iggy groaned. "Pudding with nerve endings. Pudding in great pain.”

James Patterson
“Man, you weigh a freaking ton," he told me. "What've you been eating, rocks?"
"Why, is your head missing some?" I croaked. His mouth almost quirked in a smile, and that's when I knew how upset he'd been”

James Patterson
“Popcorn for breakfast! Why not? It's a grain. It's like, like, grits, but with high self-esteem.”

James Patterson
“Well, that's an evil smile...”

James Patterson
“The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective.”

James Patterson
“Dr. Martinez: "I take it you don't want me to call your parent?"
Max: "Uh, no." Hello, lab? May I speak to the test tube please?”

James Patterson
“In the dictionary, next to the word stress, there is a picture of a midsize mutant stuck inside a dog crate, wondering if her destiny is to be killed or to save the world. Okay, not really. But there should be.”

James Patterson
“Gazzy: "What does that mean?" (points to metal plaque warning to stay off the third rail that said Stay off the third rail!)
Fang: "It means the third rail has seven hundred volts of direct current running through it. Touch it and you're human popcorn.”

James Patterson
“Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?”

James Patterson
“I didn't know a van could go up on two wheels like that, for so long." -Nudge”

James Patterson
“Max!' Nudge cried, rushing over to hug me. Her thin arms gripped me tight, and I hugged her back, scratching her wings where they joined her shoulders, the way she liked. 'We were so worried—I didn’t know what had happened to you, and we didn’t know what to do, and Fang said we going to eat rats, and—'
'Okay, okay. Everything’s okay,' I told her. I met Fang’s eyes over her shoulder and mouthed rats? silently. A flicker of a grin crossed his lips and then was gone.”

James Patterson
“I took a bite of cookie and chewed. “Hmmm,” I said, trying not to spit crumbs. “Clear vanilla notes, too-sweet chocolate chips, distinct flavor of brown sugar. A decent cookie, not spectacular. Still, a good-hearted cookie, not pretentious.” I turned to Fang. “What say you?”
“It’s fine.”
Some people just don’t have what it takes to appreciate a cookie.”

James Patterson
“Holy [Insert your choice of a swear word here]," said Fang stunned.”

James Patterson
“Excellent. They were flammable.”

James Patterson
“I muttered a swear word to myself. After I heard Angel cussing like a sailor when she stubbed her toe, my new resolution was to watch my language. All I needed was a six-year-old mutant with a potty mouth”

James Patterson
“Sometimes he seems like a droid--or a drone. Fang of Nine. Fang2-D2.”

James Patterson
“There's nothing more annoying than cold logic and reason when you've got a good fit going. ”

James Patterson
“Do we have any chlorine? It seems to be kind of explosive when mixed with other stuff."
"Like what, your socks? No, we don't have chlorine. No swimming pool.”

James Patterson
“That's more than three questions, Max. And sometimes wheter someone is your friend or enemy is all in how you look at it. But if you must know, I consider myself your friend, a good friend who loves you very much. No one Loves you more than I do, Maximum. Now listen. I ask the questions here, not you. You're just here for the ride. For the incredible, indescribable Maximum Ride.”

“Nudge: You aren't dead.
Iggy (irritably): No. You aren't dead either. How about just 'hello'?”

James Patterson
“Feeding a crowd?' the woman behind the counter asked.
Yes, ma'am ,' Fang said sweetly.
Yeah, him and all his split personalities, I thought.”

James Patterson
“Jeb: I wish I could explain what I'd give just to see you smile again.
Max (thinking): How about your head on a stick?

James Patterson
“Jeb: But I need to tell you something first.
Max (thinking): That you are the devil incarnate?

James Patterson
“Why was the blind guy playing with matches, you ask? Because he's good at it. Anything to do with fire, igniting things, exploding things, things with fuses, wicks, accelerants . . . Iggy's your man. It's one of those good/bad things.”

James Patterson
“Fang snorted in disbelief. "On one hand, we have a mythical nice family that wants to adopt me. On the other, we have a gang of insane scientists desperate to do genetic experiments on innocent children. Guess which hand I get dealt?”

James Patterson
“Iggy: So what are we going to do?
Yeah leader, lead.”

“Part 5

The Voice-
Make that my voice”

James Patterson
“The next morning-at least, I assumed it was morning, since we were all waking up- I felt like one of those twelve dancing princesses, who danced all night, wore holes in their shoes, and had to sleep it off the next day. Except, oh yeah: a)I'm not a princess; b)sleeping in a subway tunnel and having another brain attack aren't that much like dancing all night; and c) my combat boots were still in good shape. Other than that, it was exactly the same.”

James Patterson
“Frustration was my constant companion. I wanted to scream. "What the he-eck are we supposed to do now? I asked Fang.
He looked at me, and I could tell he was mulling over the problem. He held out a small waxed-paper bag.
Peanut?”

James Patterson
“Fang and I searched in every way we could think of and found a million institutes of one kind or another, in Manhattan and throughout New York state, but none of them seemed promising. My favorite? The Institute for Realizing Your Pet's Inner Potential. Anyone who can explain that to me, drop a line.”

James Patterson
“Can you giggle while racing for your life and protecting a six-year-old? I can.”

James Patterson
“Is this a movie?' I heard someone ask.
Naw- this is too original for Hollywood. They do sequels.

James Patterson
“Maybe it's information the whitecoats never wanted anyone to figure out.' Fang said in the hollow Twilight Zone-y voice he used sometimes when things got unusually weird- as opposed to regular weird.”

James Patterson
“Call me crazy, but there's just something cheering about seeing huge raptors tear into Eraser flesh.”

James Patterson
“I want to be able to see stuff," Iggy said. "Like I used to, when I was little. And I want to be able to totally kick Jeb's butt.”

James Patterson
“Iggy’s spine tightened, his face like ice. When he’d been at the School, they’d tried to surgically enhance his night vision. Now he was blind forever. Oops.”

James Patterson
“Jeezum—humans were like eggshells.”

James Patterson
“Maybe he was a good a good whitecoat—like Jeb. And maybe the moon was made of cream cheese.”

James Patterson
“It’s, like, a safety bomb.”
-Iggy”

James Patterson
“Iggy nodded. “I’m bummed we couldn’t use Big Boy,” he said. “But I don’t want to waste it. We have to actually see them first. I mean, you do.”
“Maybe tomorrow,” the Gasman said encouragingly. “We’ll go see what havoc we’ve wreaked.”
“Wrought.”

James Patterson
“Fang was going to kill me. And after I was dead, he would kill me again.”

James Patterson
“I have an idea. It’s risky, and Max will kill us when she finds out.”
Iggy raised his head. “Sounds like my kind of idea.”

James Patterson
“When did they start coming after you?”
“Was it—was it after the oil- slick Hummer crash?” the Gasman asked Iggy tentatively.
My eyes widened. Oil-slick Hummer crash?
Iggy rubbed his chin, thinking.
“Or maybe it was more---after the bomb,” the Gasman said in a low voice, looking down.
“I think it was the bomb,” Iggy agreed. “That definitely seemed to tick them off.”
“Bomb?” I asked incredulously.”

James Patterson
Fang: "It means the third rail has seven hundred volts of direct current running through it. Touch it and you're human popcorn."
“Okay,” I said. “Good tip. Everyone stay off the third rail.
Then I shot Fang a look that said, Thank you for that lovely image. He almost grinned at me.”

James Patterson
“Veins practically popping out of his neck, the jerk leaned out his window and yelled a bunch of swear words, including a new one I tucked away in my brain for future use, if necessary.”

James Patterson
“I flipped down the visor so I could check myself in the mirror, and something small and heavy dropped into my lap.
I froze, my breath stuck in my throat. What—?
Gingerly, I looked down. It wasn’t a grenade. It was a key ring. One key was for this van. I looked at it blankly.
“Well, that’ll simplify things,” Fang said.”

James Patterson
“We probably looked like starving orphan children. Hey! We were starving orphan children.”

James Patterson
“I still felt like I might hurl, and I thought about how awful that would be in midair.”

James Patterson
“I led the way toward the crowd, trying to look casual, like, Fly? Me? Nah.”
James Patterson, The Angel Experiment

07/08/2012 "Seven words. Why. Didn't. I. Re. Read. It. Sooner."

Ellie HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Augh! XD Yeah, those were REALLY spoilery!

message 2: by Ehlihr (new) - added it

Ehlihr (find me on tumblr!!) :D

ϟEvelynϟ i'm reading this right now and it's REALLY good.

Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS @Evelyn:I love this book. One of my faves.
@Ellie(a.k.a. QE3): Haha, yup. I re-made this review now though.

ϟEvelynϟ I finished it yesterday and it is also one of my faves now. X)

ϟEvelynϟ I love Fang. HEHE C: