cheryl's Reviews > Make It Stay

Make It Stay by Joan Frank

F_50x66
Jan 31, 12

I recieved this short novel as a Goodreads giveaway winner. I might have been hesitant to purchase it on my own since I shy away from shorter novels. I loved it though so I'm quite glad that the giveaway brought it to me.

This is a novel of characters and relationships. The narrator is Rachel and she and her husband, Neil, spend much of the novel sharing the story of another couple, Neil's best friend Mike and Mike's wife Tilda. We also briefly see the story of Mike and Tilda's daughter, Addie. There's a limited amount of action with the novel really being about the relationships and the ways love manifests itself.

I loved this book and happily give it 4 stars, at points I was leaning towards 4.5. I loved the writing style which reminded me of Zoe Heller's What Was She Thinking (aka Notes on a Scandal). The characters were interesting and imperfect, the love real and flawed. The writing was accessible but still lovely. This book is definitely for a reader who likes character over plot and I'd highly

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make It Stay.