Estara's Reviews > Hard Magic

Hard Magic by Laura Anne Gilman

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Recommended to Estara by: Kari Sperring
Recommended for: fans of team urban fantasy mysteries with fun characters
Read on April 28, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Having recently read Celebrity in Death, it occurs to me that this book has a similar set-up - except there's no clear romance. It's an urban fantasy crime investigation team book, but the main point-of-view character is only one - Bonita Torres.

I love the casual bisexual appreciation of any attractive member of the species who might come into her orbit, but also that she has certain rules ingrained and taught by her mentor which tell her not to sleep around in the workplace or with the boss (which is a damn shame as there seems to be quite a strong attraction to one of them, not to mention that he - or possibly both of them - seems to have played a role in her very first crime investigation - the successful identification of her father's murderer).

At them time there was no way a 13 year old girl could bring the murderer to justice because she used current/magic to find the truth. The new team formed in this book is supposed to be created to have that not happen again - but it becomes clear that more organised investigation into and opposition of evil will have a very strong reaction from that side.

I'm on Bonita's side all the way - she should get whomever she wants, because she has a core of integrity in some ways, which is why she seems to become the heart of the team in the course of the book. Her core morals do not shirk back from violence however, if she thinks it justified - she feels uncomfortable about that.

Personally? I'd love for her to end up with or at least have a hot fling with the man whom she is aware of almost constantly during the book ^^.

There is no cliffhanger ending here, but it's basically a chunk (thank you Jo Walton) series, I think, because you feel you have just read the first chapter. The author has a very tv-series/cinematic style, so you cut to the evil-doers and their plans when appropriate, but not too often. Personally I don't need that, but it also didn't bother me, because the most time was spent with the team and Bonita.

I bought the follow-up novel right away and will be reading that next ^^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Magic.