The Bookworms' Lair's Reviews > I Shall Wear Midnight

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

F 50x66
Jan 15, 12

Read on January 15, 2012

I’ve lost count of the number of books Terry Pratchett has set in his Discworld, this is the fourth book following Tiffany Aching and this almost sixteen Tiffany is very different from her eight year old self in Wee Free Men. She has grown up over the last few books but now she finally becomes a young women as she truly finds her place in her world.

Pratchett has done remarkable job with Tiffany, I’m not sure many old(er) male authors could have written a young girl so convincingly, but i have always enjoyed Pratchett’s work and he has a talent for getting at what really makes people (or witches) tick. This book seems to round off Tiffany’s story and follows on brilliantly from The Wintersmith with its hint of fairytale lyricism in the prose.

Pratchett’s Discworld characters often pop in and out of each other’s books (Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg have a cameo in this one) so we may see Tiffany again but if not it’s well worth reading her books in order to receive the full benefit of her story. Pratchett himself identifies the strength of the story in these books and these cornerstone storylines with a touch of magic and a little matter of fact common sense create a wonderful modern fairytale.

If you are already a fan of the Discworld read these books, they are marketed for younger readers and would be a great place for them to start their exploration of the Discworld but they are still just good as the rest of his work and will no doubt be loved by older readers too.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Shall Wear Midnight.