Sara Hobson's Reviews > Blood Song

Blood Song by Cat Adams

Jan 24, 12

Read from January 15 to 21, 2012

First off, the cover alone of this books sells it. Unlike the typical UF cover of the leather-clad bad-assed chick with a weapon in her hand, this just looks more intriguing and, well, different. It's a book I wouldn't mind reading in public because, well, it just looks cool. (And, thank you to C.T. for her input on AW about covers, it was incredibly helpful and it's what brought me to this book to begin with).

(*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*)

Celia is a very likable character, IMHO, and I enjoyed reading about her. Despite the back cover's description (which was very inaccurate), she is NOT the only half vampire that has ever existed, which, to me, makes her more interesting. I'm tired of stories where the title character is the ONLY ONE EVER because it's become cliched and boring. Yes, the degree of her change is different, but it was for everyone so that was fine. I was interested in the other characters as well, but I got confused as to who was who after a little bit, and the development of the werewolves could have done with a bit more explanation. The whole world of magic was very interesting as well, and I liked that it was something practiced in the open.

That being said, the content of this book was a little hard to follow at times. There were many sentences that should not have been stand alone (they could have used a comma or semicolon rather than a period) and that threw me off a bit. And there were quite a few moments when the action or peril could have been drawn out a bit more, and I was a bit disappointed that it was not. The tossed in plot device of "I can see ghosts" came out of left field, but overall it worked for the story. I also could have used a bit more explanation as to what Warrior Priests and Mages and all the magic users did, because it seemed each had different kinds of magic, though I'm not sure what they each did, really.

All in all, I WILL be reading the next book in this series, if only to find out more about the sirens (and anyone who knows me wouldn't be surprised to hear that LOL).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Song.

01/16/2012 page 84