William Herschel's Reviews > Blueprints of the Afterlife

Blueprints of the Afterlife by Ryan Boudinot

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: own, scifi-fantasy, 2012
Read from August 04 to 12, 2012

I take it back. Blueprints of the Afterlife is the most difficult thing I've tried to say anything intelligent about. I was just laying in bed reading it and now it is laying there with its back towards me.

At first I thought it was going to be some humourous and light converging story poking at future dooms-day stories. I was not prepared for all the mind-fuck and eventual complexity. If you've read any review of Blueprints you're bound to see this quote: "“She yearned for plot but instead absurdity after absurdity had been thrown before her, absurdities that alluded to obscure purposes.”". And it's so apt. When you come across it you will chuckle. Or maybe I just ruined it for you. I'm sorry.

I suppose it makes me think of how hopeless and absurd and misguided a lot of the attempts are to fix the world, to get away from any pending apocalypse sparked by modern society. Or even the threat and paranoia of such an apocalypse in the empty feeling of modern society, with questions of identity and life caused by technology. We're always in the age of fucked up shit, or inventing it, or thinking about it, or causing it. You can look at rows of suburban houses and find reason to think of it as fucked-up shit while people are being murdered in streets a country away, which is undoubtedly fucked up shit. History books have a lot of FUS. There are no better times.

(Book context. The end of the world in the book is known as the age of fucked up shit, or more appropriately acronymed FUS)

My feelings sound so serious, and they should be, for something that evokes such pertinent feelings to current society, but the book is full of sci-fi tropes and absurdity. It's not heavy going. It's really enjoyable.

And now I am going to zone out some more. (view spoiler)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blueprints of the Afterlife.

08/05/2012 page 100