K2 -----'s Reviews > The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson

Jan 19, 12

Read in January, 2012

This book knocks it out of the park.

Rarely is there a book that is so well done that I close it and buy copies for friends but this is one that I did just that. It is a thick book but is so well-researched and compellingly written you won't want to do anything else but return to the book each day until you have completed the last page.

This is the story of African Americans in this country struggling in the South and those who chose to leave all he or she knew before is truly an immigrant's story. Anyone going that distance in any other place would indeed be in another country.

Over six million people made this location change between 1915-1975 and this book that focuses on two men and one woman going to different places, in different years, is brilliant. You are reminded of history you knew before, the tragedy of the treatment of African Americans, and the grim history of racism in America.

Everyone should read this book, to keep this history alive, and to illuminate the race struggles in our country. I found the discussion of how southern migrants were treated by the immigrants from other countries when they got to Chicago looking for work particularly interesting. It is as if everyone wants to look down upon someone new even if they are so close to having been just that group.

When a reader stops to think of what goes into crafting a book as stunning as this one it is mind boggling. Wilkerson certainly deserves any accolades she has received, including her place on the best books on 2011 but the NYT, but instead of just buying this 500+ page book commit to reading it and encouraging others to do the same.

I read it over the MLK holiday weekend and it seemed like a very appropriate reminder of some ugly chapter's of American history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warmth of Other Suns.