Cathleen's Reviews > Stargirl

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Oct 12, 2015

bookshelves: audiobook, favorites, teen
Read on November 01, 2004 , read count: 4

I so love this story. It could have fallen into the glut of manic-pixie-dreamgirl tropes, but there is a complexity and authenticity that separates it from the usual. Leo is an ideal POV, flawed and open and an observer with empathy. Stargirl is the person we all wish we had the courage and spirit to be -- or, at the very least, to have her as our friend. Their friendship is sweet and silly and hopeful, and even when things become complicated, it's easy to believe in the true character of each. Memorable scenes, themes that resonate, and celebration of the impact individuals can have on both friends and strangers.

most recent re-read: October 2015

audiobook note: John Ritter is perfect as narrator for this work, so much so that I can't help but think of him whispering in the author's ear as it was being crafted. There's a believability to his voicing of an older teen caught between his comfortable low-key persona at school and the young man fascinated by someone who is utterly different and who brings out new sides of himself. Whenever I revisit, I start with an uneasiness that the performance can't be as good as I remember, especially when the first minutes don't stand out. However, it never takes long to be swept up in the boyish yet maturing voice that has much to offer and even more to discover.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargirl.

10/08/2015 marked as: currently-reading