Karen's Reviews > The Grand Sophy

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

Jan 14, 2012

Read from March 23 to 26, 2012

Who would have thought that a story set in Regency England during the 1800’s would have me laughing out loud…repeatedly? This was my first Georgette Heyer novel and I was completely taken by surprise. While the cast of characters was daunting, the skill Ms. Heyer displayed at giving them life and then skillfully weaving them throughout the tale and ultimately pulling them all together in the conclusion was brilliant!

I was absolutely taken in by our heroine Sophy—or more particular, Miss Sophia Stanton-Lacy. She arrives to stay with her Aunt while her father attends to business out of the country. No one has seen Sophy since she was a little girl and they are wholly unprepared for their sedate world to be turned upside down. Sophy isn’t constrained by convention or propriety of the times. She is a no-nonsense, practical—see a problem and find a way to solve it—kind of young woman. And so the adventure begins when Sophy makes a grand entrance into the household of Lord and Lady Ombersley and immediately assesses the family for situations that will not do and must be helped! What follows is a fast paced romp of twists and turns as Sophy in her fearless fashion tries to sort out her cousins entanglements and lead them all to happy conclusions.

Sophy’s character is engaging, funny, kind, thoroughly outrageous and completely delightful! The exchanges between Sophy and her cousin, Charles Rivenhall, had me laughing and smiling constantly. Ms. Heyer has captured perfectly the charm of what makes the sexes so different and thereby so relatable to the reader. I really enjoyed Charles and felt sorry for him has he struggled under the weight of his family’s burdens while at the same time, trying to keep his out of control cousin in check. Charles’s volatile temper and his chemistry with Sophy, helped to reveal more of his true character which I found entertaining and even charming.

As one reviewer described, “Sophy, is so confident, fun and extremely likable—she is almost irresistible.” Well THAT she is, because I was so busy enjoying this story I didn’t want it to end. I loved every minute of it and you can most happily add my name to the Georgette Heyer fan club!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grand Sophy.