Christopher's Reviews > The Isle of Blood

The Isle of Blood by Rick Yancey

Mar 05, 12

Read in March, 2012

As a stand-alone novel, Rick Yancey still hasn't beat the brilliance of the first chapter of his Monstrumologist series, but as a continuation of the ongoing adventures of Will Henry and his piece of work mentor Dr. Winthrop, this third chapter is a welcome addition of deliciously gruesome fun. Yancey never disappoints with his ability to shape and develop his characters, which is what brings me back for each new installment of this series. Every new book takes us deeper into the series' main characters, and he succeeds in giving readers a real sense of investment in these tireless monster-hunters and their turn-of-the-century world of intrigue and horror. Yancy's books also have an air of sophistication and elegance that, to me, set the Monstrumologist series of young adult novels apart from the Hunger Games and Twilights of the world. The humor, the violence, the internal struggles, all have a very advanced tone and certainly do not "talk down" to the intended audience...which, sadly, may be a reason these books aren't more popular. Yancy's ideas may live in an in-between land that is deemed too fanciful for adult demographics and too mature for young adult readers. Demographics be damned, these are great books. I was happily surprised to find this third chapter in the series and hope for more snapping-to in the future.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Isle of Blood.