Sophie Riggsby's Reviews > Pretty Crooked

Sep 23, 13

Read in March, 2012

*Review published on Page Turners Blog on 3/23/2012*

*More like 2.5 stars*

I was looking forward to this premise. After all, who doesn't love a good Robin Hood tale? And Willa certainly has all the makings of a perfect Robin Hood. Her background of moving from school to school, always being the new girl and never quite having enough money fit the character type rather well. I admit that I was very curious to see how Willa would adapt not only to the new private school but also to being accepted into the very top clique, the Glitterati. It was even interesting to see her own struggle between having the funds to buy $400 outfits and trying to speak up against the students who didn't have money. But somewhere in the logical jump that she should steal from the rich kids and give to the poor, I got lost.

Don't get me wrong, the story reached for a sense of justice and yet for me, it missed the mark. What did the hit the mark was Elisa's solid writing in describing the dramatically different settings in the story, the conversations between the Glitterati and the interactions between Willa and Adrian. The very best part of the story was the changing dynamic between Willa and her mother. I wanted more of them together and I wanted to know some of the answers that will surely end up in next year's sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Crooked.