Eileen's Reviews > The Lure of Shapinsay

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

7208929
Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: tour-stop, i-own, paranormal, romance, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

This book was good from the start. I believe the characters talk in an Irish accent—please correct me if I'm wrong—and I found it a little hard to get into at first because of the slang they use over in Ireland. But about a tenth of the way through the book I got the hang of it and really started to delve into this book.

I love the romance and the whole medley of emotions that play out through the course of this book. It's a standalone novel, so the turning point wasn't at the ending like most books in a series, but at the middle. And then there was a twist three-quarters of the way through, and the resolution finally happened at the very end, leaving me satisfied.

The only problems I did have with this novel was that the accent was really hard to make out and the words that Ms. Holle used weren't actually in the dictionary, so I had to guess. This didn't annoy me too much, since there were only a few words that were impossible to guess. Another problem was that in the summary (above) Kait was supposed to become obsessed with finding this mysterious selkie. This happens about a quarter of the way through, and I was worried that Kait would be obsessed and completely turn me off. But that didn't happen.

Ms. Holle balanced it out so that I didn't feel that Kait was so obsessed that I hated the book, just enough that I was a little annoyed and this book still got a four. This happens again very briefly at the end, but again, it was very subtle and it was acceptable behavior for someone who gets enchanted by a mythical being.

So in conclusion, this book was really awesome and it got me hooked, despite my wariness from what I had read in the synopsis. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lure of Shapinsay.