Julesmarie's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, nook, dystopia
Read from July 31 to August 05, 2012

I'd been told that this resembled The Hunger Games, and I think that's why I put off reading it for as long as I did. I am delighted to say that, in my opinion, the only thing this book has in common with that one is that they're both YA dystopian books.

In the beginning, especially as Tris is working up to choosing her faction, the story read like the most fascinating and amazing cross between The Giver and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It was so much fun to read, and I found Tris to be one of the most sympathetic YA heroines I've come across in quite a while.

Part of me wonders if I didn't find myself sympathizing with her so much due to the 1st person present tense of the narration. I'm coming across this style more and more often recently, and I think I'm really starting to like it. It makes all of the action seem so much more immediate--the reader is experiencing all of the events at the same time as the narrator. An extra benefit of this style is that it removes any possibility of one of my least favorite writing conventions: explicit ominous foreshadowing. Not to say I don't appreciate foreshadowing. In fact, Ms. Roth managed several beautifully subtle instances of foreshadowing that I totally LOVED (view spoiler)

I also wonder if I didn't find Tris so sympathetic because she made many of the decisions I like to imagine I would have made in her place. Especially in books with huge life-altering decisions, I like to imagine myself having to make that decision. But it wasn't just her choice of faction that I sympathized with, it was so many of her smaller decisions along the way. I found her to be just fantastically well-written and totally believable.

And on that note, I ADORED Tobias! He's such a delightfully complex and fascinating character--especially in a YA book. It seems sometimes like YA writers try to dumb down some of the content in a misguided attempt to reach their target audience. I love that Ms. Roth didn't do that. There were layers and secrets and hidden agendas and it was all balanced just so beautifully. I also loved the development of the relationship between Tris and Tobias, and I thought it was also perfectly pitched for the YA audience.

There were a few things, however, that pulled me out of the story. (view spoiler)

Those things are just niggles, really, and I absolutely LOVED the rest of the book. I already bought the second and can't wait to get started!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.