Meaghan's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm

Fables, Vol. 2 by Bill Willingham

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, fairy-tales, graphic-novels
Read in January, 2012

Volume 2 finds Snow White and Rose Red visiting The Farm, where all the non-human Fables who couldn't integrate with "mundane" society are forced to live. Some of these characters, including the Three Little Pigs and various characters from The Jungle Book, are dissatisfied with their situation and try to start a revolution against the human Fables.

It's been a while since I read Animal Farm -- that is, the George Orwell version -- but the reference seems right on the nose, or should I say snout. The animal revolution is both hilarious (Goldilocks as guerrilla revolutionary leader!) and disturbing (there's just something creepy about seeing fairy tale characters slaughtered). I really enjoyed the introduction of Reynard the fox. He's a fun character, as is the total badass Snow White. Some of her interactions with her sister Rose Red are very interesting. The ending of this volume seems to set up potentially intriguing future developments, which I look forward to reading when I get volume 3.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 2.