Buggy's Reviews > Texas Glory

Texas Glory by Lorraine Heath

Nov 09, 12

bookshelves: hist-rom, cowboy-up, colonial-frontier, shelf-12, western-rom
Read from October 23 to 30, 2012

Another excellent addition to Lorraine Heath’s Texas trilogy, it doesn’t quite live up to the awesomeness of (Texas Destiny) but its damn close and a really emotional read. Such a shame that Heath is no longer writing these historical westerns because they’re just so good and this (out of print) series in particular is worth hunting down.

Here in book 2 we get Dallas’ story. He’s the oldest Leigh brother and figured prominently in the last book, standing by helplessly as his mail-order bride fell in love with his younger brother Houston. It’s now 5 years later and Dallas is still consumed by his desire for a son, wanting an heir to leave his ever expanding empire to or all his hard work will have been for nothing.

Women however are in short supply in 1881 West Texas so when a land rights dispute develops with a neighboring rancher and Dallas learns that the man has a daughter he takes full advantage, essentially trading a parcel of his acreage for her hand in marriage (nice!) The deal isn’t complete until she provides him with a son.

Poor Cordelia, sheltered, subservient and terrified of Dallas, especially after her brothers fill her head with stories about what a horrible tyrant he is, of course his gruff and intimidating manner don’t help matters either. Having grown up with an abusive father Cordelia spends her wedding night hiding under a desk. Dallas is at a loss, and clueless about how to put his new bride at ease, I mean despite his demeanour he’s not a bad man it’s just that after commanding during the Civil war he seemed to have lost the capacity to ask for things or share his feelings in any social way. And this is where I wondered how on earth these two would ever get it together because everything Dallas did only succeeded in pushing his timid wife further away.

Over time though, Cordelia really comes into her own, given free rein and a little support, her confidence just soars enough so that they begin to relax and enjoy each other, discovering that they work well together. Once again Heath shines at showing our couple slowly falling in love; the changes their personalities go through make it even harder to witness the tragedy that nearly takes everything away.

"I can't stay. I can no longer give you what you want."
Dallas stepped off the veranda and extended a bouquet of wildflowers toward her. "Then stay and give me what I need."

*Sigh*

We also get updates on Huston and his ever expanding brood of girls, an absolutely tragic subplot involving a young boy named Rowley and poor Austin, superbly set up for the next book (Texas Splendor). As far as historical western romances go this one has it all. Cheers.
331jb4

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Texas Glory.

10/30/2012 page 358

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Buggy Jeez yeah the christmas scene and her red dress was brutal. I kinda figured "that" was going to happen or that they would have a girl. It was so funny how Dallas never questioned that he would have son.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Another fabulous review, Buggy! Man it makes me want to re-read this series. Hopefully next year!

Buggy Thanks so much Jill, I definitely plan on rereading this series I'll be sad when I've finished LH's other Westerns

message 4: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth Great review. I think I have this one buried somewhere - must pull it out..

Buggy Thanks Ruth, Its a great series

Redsketch Those were my exact thoughts after finishing this book. :)

Buggy Thanks so much Redsketch, glad I got it right :)