Eden's Reviews > Vessel

Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst

Dec 10, 12

This novel was everything wonderful about fantasy in one go. Let's start with the worldbuilding, because holy wow is it stellar. The desert and its clans clearly have history. The myths the people have for their beginnings read like a genuine creation story, while the novel's actual premise and the magic involved are worked intricately into the lifestyle of the people. So the vessel concept is unique, yes, but it isn't just a hook; it has substance. It has meaning. And oh, there is a delicious twist concerning the vessels' lives, the deities who overtake them, and magic.

Liyana, we're told, is practical, and she is -- wonderfully so. Her pragmatism gives her an innate strength that makes her courageous and savvy, an excellent combination for the political dealings that pick up during the story. As a foil, Korbyn excels; he's good-natured on the surface, almost light-hearted, but with a level head and a rough yet protective side. With them together, there are moments of head-spinning emotion and instances of excellent humour.

The other characters, from the assorted vessels and clan members to the Crescent Empire personages, all fulfill their role with well-fleshed personalities; the growing relationship between Liyana and the Emperor stand out in particular. And the dynamics between the vessels are at their best in this quote:

As she got closer, Raan shouted a string of obscenities at them. Pia gasped with each one. Fennick looked disgusted.
"Impressive vocabulary," Korbyn said. "I feel as though I should take notes."
"I think she's making them up," Liyanna siad. "Half of them are not anatomically possible."
"And the rest is... ill-advised," Pia said.
(p. 189)

The deities themselves are, surprisingly, also developed, and the relationship involving Liyana, Bayla (Liyana's clan's god) and Korbyn shifts constantly, believably, as does the relationship between the Crescent Empire and the desert clans. The villain is sufficiently evil with his dramatic ambition, but it's crux of these two key relationships that makes the ending so heartbreaking. Such an epic journey across the desert, with such a finale... I'm not going to lie. When I finished Vessel, I wanted to cry.

*Review originally published on Pass the Chiclets.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vessel.

Krispy Yay! Alz liked this one too. It's probably up next on my TBR list.

Eden Krispy wrote: "Yay! Alz liked this one too. It's probably up next on my TBR list."

Great to hear! Would love to hear what you have to say.

Linda RAAN! <3

Also, the ending actually made me happy until I got to the epilogue. LOL.

Eden Linda wrote: "RAAN! <3

Also, the ending actually made me happy until I got to the epilogue. LOL."

Yes, Raan was awesome! And I think that the epilogue really provided a sense of closure, which is maybe why you didn't like it as much?

Linda Oh, that's not why. The epilogue pretty much went as I wanted/expected until (view spoiler)

Eden Linda wrote: "Oh, that's not why. The epilogue pretty much went as I wanted/expected until [spoilers removed]"

Ohhhh, I see! Yeah, can understand where you're coming from -- I rather liked the villain's original idea too, if not the method he went about doing it. :P But it didn't bother me too much. Interesting that you were disappointed by that, though!