Angel 's Reviews > Compassionate Carnivore: Or, How to Keep Animals Happy, Save Old Macdonald's Farm, Reduce Your Hoofprint, and Still Eat Meat

Compassionate Carnivore by Catherine Friend

190365
Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: biography-and-memoir, business-and-economics, foods-and-epicurious, nature-and-science
Read from January 14 to 15, 2012, read count: 1

Part of the reason I disliked this book may be that it was just not the book for me at this time as a reader. Part of it may be that much of the arguments Friend makes are things I have seen in other books such as Fast Food Nation and Supersize Me. I will admit that I skimmed parts of the book due to the repetition. It is not that I disagree with the arguments; it's just that I have seen a lot of the stuff before, so I did not really need to see it again. The memoir parts, to be honest, had a little bit on the "Pollyanna" tone. I think she makes a valid point: that you can be a carnivore and be compassionate about the meat you eat; more importantly, be very aware of where your food comes from and try to choose more compassionate and healthy alternatives. But a lot of the message is repetitive throughout the book (yea, I got it the first time). The recommendations at the end, while noble, are fairly unrealistic to the average person. I mean, how many folks do you know can afford to buy a whole hog or steer, let alone have a place to store all the butchered meat? I think the idea of buying your meat directly from a sustainable farmer is a good one, but as I said, not necessarily realistic, which, noble as it is, is where things fall apart for this book. And while Friend says people should just not choose to not do anything, there are no realistic alternatives, or they would take way too much work. I know I would not be able to buy even a quarter of a steer (an option in some places), let alone have the place to store all the meat. As much as I dislike factory produced meat, personally at least, I do not have too many options to go the more natural route the author suggests. The whole thing is a bit too much on the idealistic side, which is a pity because there are some good points in the book. Overall, not a book I would recommend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compassionate Carnivore.