Shelley's Reviews > Claws and Effect

Claws and Effect by Amanda Arista

Jan 14, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Claws and Effect is the second book in the Diaries of an Urban Panther series, featuring Violet Jordan. It’s written in first person, from Violet’s point of view. At the start of the story Violet is still struggling to come to terms with the power she received from Harvety. She constantly fights the magic that swirls in her and resists entreaties from other shapeshifters who want her to run the pack.

Sometimes it’s possible to read series out of order, but with this one you definitely need to read book one before you read this one. I think you’d struggle if you started with book two.

It’s the characters that really make this series for me. Violet shows definite growth as she learns to wield her power, starts to interact with some of the dog shapeshifters and struggles to stay ahead of the baddies. Violet has a boyfriend, but he is absent for a lot of the time, and she worries that he’s not interested in her any longer. Violet is like the girl next door, and sometimes a bit of a screw up, but as she starts to embrace her powers she becomes more kick-ass.

The secondary characters of Jessa, a fairy princess and the keyholder, add to the book, but it’s the dog shifters that I had a real soft spot for. They were interesting characters that also show distinctive character arcs throughout the story.

There wasn’t anything I didn’t like about this book—the plot, the characters, the pace and the setting work together beautifully to create a seamless read and an excellent addition to what is fast becoming one of my favorite series.

Note: this book was provided by the author for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claws and Effect.