D.M. Kenyon's Reviews > The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family, and the Birth of Christianity

The Jesus Dynasty by James D. Tabor

6519460
Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: historical, religious-spiritual
Read in January, 2006

It is difficult to find good material on the history of Jesus that is not laced with didactic case-making or atheistic case-breaking. James Tabor, however, present the what mankind knows about 1st Century Israel and the life of Jesus from a scholarly perspective based on archaeological data and not mythology.

Surprisingly, the life of Jesus actually takes on great meaning in this agnostic historical context as we learn about a young man who knowingly gave his life in an attempt to restore Judaism that had eroded under Roman Occupation. Tabor makes an incredibly strong case against many myths regarding the life of Jesus. He present the evidence that Jesus was married and had children. We see glimpses of his mother and her ancestral line as well as her adopted father, Joseph.

The Jesus Dynasty in my mind is the beginning of a considerable scholastic effort to set the record straight about the real life of this most important historical figure. While it asks more questions than it answers, this book will serve as a marker for further research that will never be complete until outsiders are allowed in the Vatican Library.

This book depicts a hero that to my non-Christian mind is more impressive than the legend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jesus Dynasty.