Kathy Kramer's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

May 26, 12

bookshelves: memoir, humor
Recommended for: people who like humor, people who like the odd
Read from May 20 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Jenny Lawson is also known as The Bloggess. If you read her blog or you like humor, you will like this book. There are parts of this that are literally laugh-out-loud funny, so if you're one of those people who don't like to call attention to yourself in public, then you may not want to read it in public.

This book is clearly written in her own, unique voice, which is a good thing because it would be weird and unsettling if she didn't use her own voice while telling her own story.

The biggest thing that stood out for me, personally, was how she handled talking about her own anxiety disorder. I can relate to having an anxiety disorder (because I have one, too), and I can definitely relate to the thought process behind having an anxiety disorder (i.e. letting your worry take off into the really weird and to the improbable territory, because you can't help worry about things that honestly could never happen and have absolutely nothing to do with the original thing you started worrying about. But that's how an anxiety disorder works. It's not rational. That's why it's a disorder.)

Lawson handles her anxiety disorder with humor. There is just enough humor to show that she owns it and is not ashamed of having an anxiety disorder, but it never crosses the line into making light of something very serious. Hopefully, if other people with anxiety disorders read this, they can see that they have nothing to be ashamed of.

She does include the story of the five foot tall metal chicken named Beyonce.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.