Lauren Elyse's Reviews > Oedipus Rex

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, for-university
Read in January, 2012

I first read this a few years ago in high school (cliche), where I proceeded with a few others to make a giant poster hand mirror framed with a noose to represent Jocasta.

Yeah, we thought it was witty too. & Of course, it was a school project. & Obviosly, we got an A. Blah blah blah.

But really, upon re-reading this for class, this is just a good ol' piece of classic literature. In all honestly, I have probably alluded to (Spoiler, I suppose. I just assume everyone has read this at some point in their lives.) Oedipus stabbing his eyes with brooches more than I'd like to admit in my day to day life.

It's like the Star Wars scene where Darth Vader "sabers" off Luke's arm. It's just something everyone knows & remembers & loves.

Of course, this isn't a play about becoming blind. This is a play about driving one to one's own end. It's Oedipus's harsh persistance & willingness to jump to conclusions, along with Jocasta's own doubts as to what is the truth & what's not, that's the underlying theme to Oedipus's emotional demise.

Even so, everytime I read it, all I can think of is why in the world would anyone stab their eyes with brooches? I mean, I understand in the literary sense, but, like Creon said, time heals everything.

Oedipus was a bit impulsive, no?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oedipus Rex.