Melissa's Reviews > Wishless

Wishless by Louise Caiola

Jan 14, 12

Read in January, 2012

As if being a teenager wasn't hard enough. Wishless is the story of Chessie Madrid, an eighteen year old girl who has been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. In most cases the disease is not terminal, but this is not most cases and Chessie is not most girls. She lost her mother at the age of twelve and her father has been absent since she was about three years old. One of the only highlights to Chessie's life is that her mom still visits her at night. One evening her mother visits and tells her, "Chessie, collect your wishes. Choose them carefully. Make a list, start with three or four. If you want them badly enough, they might just come true." And so begins the story of Chessie and her journey of the wishes.

Chessie lives with her grandmother, affectionately known as C.G., and has since she was about three years old. C.G. is the closest thing to a mother that Chessie has, and really her only support system. She lives in a small town, with small town rumors, and refuses to tell anyone she is dying because of how she'll be treated. Chessie doesn't want to be looked at with sad eyes for the 6752 days she has left to live. She hasn't even told Meg, her best friend of years, that she is dying. Of course she has hopes that Johnny, Meg's older brother, will be her wish number 2. To find love. Wish number 1 is to have a sister, who arrives in the form of Logan, and wish number 3 is to make her father suffer for his sins.

Throughout the book all of Chessie's wishes come to fruition. Bonds are formed, love is found in the most odd places, and sins are suffered for. I expected to cry my heart out at the end of the book. I was mentally preparing for it. As a mother no one wants to think of someone dying so young, let alone suffering during that time. Thankfully Louise Caiola does not cause the reader to feel that there is a major amount of physical suffering for Chessie. The reader falls in love with Chessie and by halfway through the book is hoping and praying for the best.

Will Chessie right all the wrongs before her time is up? Will she find love or find that all men are just like her father? Will Chessie finally get to be with her mother? I guess you'll have to read the book to find out! I was not paid for this review, in fact I won the book in a contest. The views and opinions stated here are my own and were in no way swayed. Thank you for taking the time to read. Have a great day! -Melissa

A room without books is like a body without a soul. -Cicero

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishless.