Monique Ammi's Reviews > This World We Live In

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Jan 14, 12

Read in January, 2012

You can read a book about the future and some wild scenario that requires suspension of disbelief to enjoy... those of you who can't get over that and keep saying "that could never happen" or "there are no such thing as..." to yourself to the point of distraction might like this series. Maybe the "big event" that kicks this off would be a bit far-fetched, but global warming or some other deterioration in the climate patterns could make a world just like this one. That is what I really liked about this... so much of it was horrifying in how you can easily picture it happening in real life... and I mean REAL, real life. Check your pantry... keep some real maps around even if you CAN Google your way anywhere these days. The family dynamics were very believable. How would you cope with that type of situation? Would you step up? Go insane? Be productive or just sit in a heap thinking?

The first part of the first book started out with teenage kid fluff... I nearly set it aside. By the end of the third book I can actually see how that first part (which I've called trite in the past) was almost necessary as a benchmark of the character's reality... young, frivolous concerns, all about being a teenager. By the end of this one, all that teenage carefree has been wrung out of the main character even though it is just over a year later.

This trilogy is quick to read and it will stick with you... I read the first one in 2008 and still think about it all the time... the chocolate chips thing in particular. How TRUE that whole scene was...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This World We Live In.