Alison's Reviews > Birthmothers: Women Who Have Relinquished Babies for Adoption Tell Their Stories

Birthmothers by Merry Bloch Jones

Feb 12, 12

Read from February 07 to 12, 2012

I'm glad that I read this book; it was pretty eye-opening about what birthmothers go through in their lives. The last chapter was especially informative, and the direct quotes from the women in the prior chapters were touching and interesting.

The reason I didn't rate the book higher is because I found the writing to be pretty frustrating to parse through -- the opening vignettes that sounded like narratives didn't flow with the rest of the book, and I wish that they hadn't been there in that sort of form. Direct quotes by the mothers would have been more powerful than a fake "story" that interrupted the flow and, in my opinion, made them seem more trite than they would have felt otherwise. Other than the organization (repetitive) and flow issues, this book is worth a read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmothers.

02/08/2012 page 94
30.0% "Not sure whether to give this book 2 or 3 stars. The stories are interesting and they make you feel empathetic towards the mothers, but at the same time the writing itself is frustrating to parse through; specifically, I'm finding it to be very repetitive, and I think that it could use some work on organization of ideas. The flow is pretty abrupt in places, making me think that the author was cramming in stories."