♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > The Other Life

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Sam
Read from January 29 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

I don't know what it is that makes me giddy when I hear the word zombie. Maybe it's the promise of the action, suspense, the running for your life, and trying to survive, that usually go along with any good zombie tale. This story has Weepers, which may not technically be zombies, as I'm not sure if they're actually dead or not. At any rate, to me they're in the same category so: me=giddy!

Fifteen-year old Sherry and her family have been in a safety bunker for the last three and a half years. The population Los Angeles has been overrun by a mutated version of the rabies virus. Any humans who were infected became something called Weepers. Any who were not infected were told to go into hiding for protection. Sherry's family planned for four years of food but somehow they miscalculated, and they've just run out. Sherry and her father make plans to go out and find food, there is no other option. Right away things go badly and Sherry loses her dad to one of the Weepers. Enter Joshua. He's a somehow immune the disease and has been surviving on the outside with a group of people at a place called Safe-haven. Joshua agrees to retrieve the rest of Sherry's family and bring them to their compound and then go after her father. It seems there's a chance he's still alive because sometimes these Weepers don't eat a person right away. They take them to one of their nests to save them for later. Ewww!! In the process of searching for Sherry's father, she and Joshua form a bond. I like the quote on the front of this book: "Danger isn't the only thing that makes your heart beat faster…" So, yes, there is a romance in here, and a very sweet one at that.

I really enjoyed this story. It had you on the edge of your seat from the beginning. Even at first, in the bunker, it's intense. Just reading about the grandma clickity-clacking those knitting needles while the rest of the family was imploding, made me want to take those needles and…..well, I don't know…..let's just say it wouldn't have been good. There are some pretty gruesome moments (as you would expect with a zombie book), so be warned if that kind of thing bothers you. I didn't think it was as bad as some though. I really admired both main characters. Sherry is a brave young girl who puts her family first. I love her relationship with her little sister Mia. Joshua, who's lost so much, is intent on helping others and ridding the world of these Weepers. While we’re not left on a horrible cliffhanger, this story seems like it has just begun when you get to the ending. We are left with unanswered questions, and the fate of one of the characters still hangs in the balance. I can't wait for the next book!

13 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Life.

01/29/2012 page 47
15.0% "Are there zombies in this?!! *I hope I hope I hope*"
01/29/2012 page 85
27.0% "I think Weepers=Zombies. They eat people, surely that qualifies."
01/29/2012 page 259
81.0% "On the edge of my seat for most of this book. Can't keep my eyes open any longer!" 2 comments

Aly (Fantasy4eva) this one was a pleasant surprise. i'll deffo be reading the next too. ! :)

♥Rachel♥ I thought so too Aly. I can't wait for the next one. :)

♥Rachel♥ Lol Sam and thank you! I know one year. Ahh!! :)

Laura OH! Zombies make me happy! :) I actually forgot this one was a zombie book—shame on me! It just jumped to the top of the pile! Thanks Rachel! Wonderful review—love the saving for later part! Ewww! :D

message 5: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit I'm not really a fan of zombie books, but after reading This Is Not a Test and your review I think I will be picking some more up! Great review :)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Laura and Jasprit. I hope you like it as much as I did. :)

Jasprit, I can't wait for your review on This is Not a Test. I was lusting for that book!

Eunice This sounds really interesting, Rachel. I hope to read this soon. Great review, btw. :))

message 8: by Marianne (new)

Marianne I haven't heard of this book before, but it totally reminded me about the TV series "The Walking Dead". Do you think they can compare? That is if you've seen the series...
You made me totally want to go buy this book straight away, thanks for great review!

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Marianne. This totally reminded me of The Walking Dead, which I love. I need to catch up on that series. If you like that show you should really like this. :)

message 10: by Jessa (new) - added it

Jessa yay I just got this and your review has me very excited!!

♥Rachel♥ Thanks! It was a lot of fun. Hope you like it. :)

Giselle Aah the click click!! And grandpa in the freezer! Baha. It was really intense at times and even the counting of days that a lot of people complain about, I found it interesting and sort of thought provoking. I also really liked Sherry's relationship with her family. Mia is so sweet and young. I hope she doesn't get killed in book 2 :(

Great review, Rachel!

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Giselle. I know the grandpa in the freezer! I guess you do what you got to do but eeeek! :)