Joanna Weissen's Reviews > The Age of Missing Information

The Age of Missing Information by Bill McKibben

Dec 03, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from March 17 to 22, 2012

This book is amazingly bad. While the premise of the experiment is interesting and the author does have a few points about the nature of television I found thought provoking, most of the book is just the author espousing his views about nature, environmentalism, and sustainability. I did find the fact that these buzzwords have been in constant use for over 20 years both fascinating and depressing all at the same time. The author seems to have made choices in his life that he wishes we would all choose, and therefore decided to set them out for us to look at in this book. The result is a romantic view of living with less and a time when farmers farmed and we were all closer to nature. The problem is he ignores how technology has made our lives better by giving us more time that is not directly spent figuring out how to acquire food and shelter, which used to be hard. Very hard. Separate from this is how TV affects us and society, but he author has jumbled it all together in one giant evil. This book was published at the height of "the sky is falling" terror of global warming, which is not looking to be the catastrophe that the author is making it out to be. While reading this book, the feeling I had more than any other was the feeling I wanted to throw up from the way the author's lifestyle was pushed so hard. Bottom line: if you agree with the author, you'll like this book because it will make you feel good about what you already think. If you don't, you'll realize that this is a horrible book full of logical holes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Missing Information.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chivos (new) - added it

Chivos Machones ""Sky is falling" terror over global warming"??? Are you aware that we are at the brink of climate catastrophe as we speak? I've not read this book, but I assure you that I've read the most current science on this issue.

Our children's future demands our environmental advocacy now more than ever!

Joanna Weissen I feel bad for you that you have fallen for the political garbage that now passes as science. Might I recommend the book The Real Global Warming Disaster by Christopher Booker so you can at least read the other side for a change.

Do you really have nothing better to do than comment on reviews of total strangers chastising them for their opinions?