Joy's Reviews > Burn

Burn by T.J. Klune

Feb 14, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, m-m
Read from February 11 to 14, 2012

Excellent urban fantasy about a young man who is an Elemental (someone who can supernaturally manipulate the 4 Elements of the middle ages) in an alternate-US where Elementals are about to be legally persecuted. But it turns out, he's not just AN Elemental, he's THE Elemental--the one who will either save the world and destroy it. Mentored by his fated mate Seven (yes, this is m/m after all), he's got to learn to control both his powers and the darkness within him. The adventure is nearly non-stop and the plot has more twists and turns than a scenic byway. The ending is very nearly a cliffhanger (and I mean that literally). The only issue I had with the book is that the plot is basically a man-against-himself (while trying to save the world), which isn't a great fit stylistically with m/m erotic romance in some instances. The emotional romance angle worked much better than the actual erotic part. I guess some great tastes don't taste great together? Anyway, I would recommend this to anyone who likes urban fantasy and either likes or tolerates m/m.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn.

02/13/2012 page 150
41.0% "Really enjoying this but I don't think the erotic angle fits so well with the urban fantasy angle. Maybe it's just the way it's written, the styles don't blend."