L12aliciacarrera's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: mclit
Read from January 14 to 21, 2012

I absolutely loved this book! Sherman Alexie did a wonderful job of sharing the experiences of a Spokane adolescent on an Indian reservation in such a way that I really empathized with the young character. I found this story to be tragic but humorous as well.

Junior is a 14 year old who lives on the reservation. He is constantly being made to feel like an outcast. He was born with many physical ailments which fellow Indians on the reservation use as a weapon to constantly ridicule him. Junior realizes that in order for him to get a good education he will have to leave the reservation. His solution is to transfer to an all white school in a nearby town. This makes him a traitor to his fellow Indians. This doesn't stop Junior because somehow he maintains a positive attitude through it all.

This is a story of poverty, death, prejudice, and bullying. The harsh reality that Junior faces on a daily basis is very well written. Alexie is able to maintain humor through all of Juniors experiences which makes this an even better book.

I find this book to be appropriate for late middle school and high school students, as well as adults. There is some strong language and there are themes that could be inappropriate for younger students. It would be a great opportunity for teachers to talk about poverty, death, prejudices, and bullying with older students.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

L12_markmesserly The 'harsh reality' echoes themes that other disenfranchised youth may identify with. I liked this book as well. The blistering sarcasm and cynicism may get old for some readers; however, that optimism and light that Junior sees tempers the delivery enough to follow the story to the end.

message 2: by 529_Cristina (new)

529_Cristina I haven't met a student yet who hasn't absolutely loved this book! The illustrations really help to bring the book to life. They remind me of the Wimpy Kid books too, love those... This genre of book is great for all readers, but I've seen reluctant readers come to life when reading this book because the narrative perspective is so inviting and the illustrations are really helpful in the student's construction of the story. I hope Sherman Alexie continues to make more books like this one!

L12_LaurieLaning Cristina, you have convinced me to read this story! I am currently reading a NY Times bestseller entitled, "Empire of the Summer Moon," which I strongly recommend to go along with the Native American stories we are reading for class.