S.'s Reviews > Vivian Maier: Street Photographer

Vivian Maier by Vivian Maier

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: art, read-in-2012
Read in January, 2012

Great street photography by an utterly unknown, and now deceased Chicagoan. People and places in black and white. Definitely worth checking out if you like street photography. Many good shots - the boy riding the horse down the city street is at the moment my favorite.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vivian Maier.

message 1: by Tom (last edited Jan 16, 2012 06:10AM) (new)

Tom Oh my, yes, VM is marvelous photographer, and her personal story an inspiring lesson in quiet devotion to one's passions. I stumbled across link to her work last year -- can't remember where -- and was immediately transfixed by her pics. My favorite is the one of homeless man sitting on sidewalk, folded up in himself, like a crumpled origami sculpture. The boy on horse and the pantless man are also favs. I need to buy this book. Thanks for the reminder!

ps just remembered, it was article in Mother Jones that put me on to VM; a most appropriate venue for introducing such a talented chronicler of the life on urban streets.

message 2: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. The back story was so interesting, too - how all her work was in storage and she couldn't pay the rent anymore and lost all her negatives, etc. I also found beautiful how she did it all just because she loved to. No fame, no fortune, it seems not even showing anyone her stuff.
Here's a blog that posts her photos: http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Oooh, such a treasure trove. Hadn't seen many of these pics. Thanks, S! (now I feel better about putting off "real" work for rest of morning ... )

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I got to see that exhibit of her work in Chicago!

message 5: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. That site also has a short video on how the photos were discovered, which is interesting. At the time, there were still thousands of negatives to sort through.