Lindsey's Reviews > The Sentimentalists

The Sentimentalists by Johanna Skibsrud

Jan 23, 12

Read from January 19 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I enjoyed reading this book, although I'm uncertain about the ending and what purpose it serves. The first part of the book is narrated by a woman and tells the story of her father throughout her childhood and adulthood. He interacted strangely with her mother and her and her sister - although loving them, unable to communicate with them. He had fought in the Vietnam war, and after suffering a bad break-up, the narrator goes to live with her father to learn more about his experiences. He is discovered to have lung cancer, and he erratically tells his daughter some of his war experiences before he dies. His stories are vague, however, and leave both his daughter and the reader unsure of what really happened to him and his good friend who dies in the war.
Skibsrud's writing style is jumpy - I found it made me want to read on to find out what was happening, but I had to flip back in the book a lot just to jog my memory about what was happening when.
Overall, for Canadian fiction, I enjoyed the book - I just wish it had a bit more solidity to the background war stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sentimentalists.