Katie's Reviews > Heaven and Hell

Heaven and Hell by Kristen Ashley

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: alpha-type-hero, contemp, e-book
Read from January 14 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy

Kia is a survivor. Soon after she learned her cheating husband is caught in the act and murdered by his girlfriend's husband, Kia finds out that not only was Cooter abusive towards her, he was actually plotting to have her killed! Finally relieved of the burden of her horrible husband, Kia whisks off on a long overdue European vacation.

While sitting in a cafe Kia's life changes forever when her waiter abruptly lifts her out of her chair and seats her at the table of Sampson Cooper. The ex-football star turned Army commando takes one look at Kia and they both begin to learn what real love is all about.

This is going to be contradictory to my other Kristen Ashley reviews, but I just couldn't ignore it this time. Those cursed run on sentences... I am not by any means an English teacher. Hell, I'm lucky to know the difference between a noun and a verb, or a period and an exclamation mark. But the lack of editing and the run on sentences in Heaven and Hell actually distracted me. I couldn't understand just about anything that Sam was saying.

ex:

"Okay, baby, now that my cock is no longer inside you and when it is, that is a place he'll never be, I'll say this straight. You don't get it straight, we work on it but I'll say it straight and maybe it'll penetrate and you can focus on the Kia you are, not the Kia he dragged down and made you be".

Okay, What??? Now, after I read that paragraph 4 or 5 times, I finally figured out what he was saying. But in my opinion there were about 50 different ways Sam could have worded that thought that would have actually made sense the first time. I've read some of my GR friend's reviews on Kristen Ashley books and they laid it out perfectly... Yes the run on's are noticeable, but KA writes how someone would actually talk. I couldn't agree more with that. Which is why I can usually adapt and look past the run on's. But with Sam Cooper, I couldn't help but have Rocky Balboa's mumbly jumbly voice in my head every time I read his dialogue. It was like he couldn't form a coherent sentence. I was waiting for him to yell "Yo Adrian!!!" (or Yo Kia, buy you know the scene I'm referring to).

But with all the negative points I could dish out about H&H, once again KA has dazzled me with a lovable heroine and primed up hot alpha male. These are the common characteristics in all of her books and I applaud her with a full on standing ovation for them. I loved Kia. I admired her strength, her courage and most especially her ability to come to terms with the difference between what her life was and what it could become with Sam. I liked Sam too. One of KA's token alpha's. If I could have understood more of what he was saying there is no doubt I would have loved him.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, because KA is giving me exactly what I've always asked for (a writer who literally kicks out books as fast as we can read them) but... I think maybe she's pumping out the books a bit too fast. There is literally a new KA book out to read every few weeks. She is becoming like that new song on the radio that when it first comes out everyone LOVES it. But then the radio stations play it over and over and over. So, after a while you get sick of hearing the same thing and actually change the station. This and I think she's sacrificing editing to meet the demands of her readers.

Ok, one last thing then I'll shut up... Cooter??? Really??? I mean I know it was mentioned that his real name is Jeff, but no one ever called him that. But COOTER!!!??? (yes, those are shouty capitols) This is not a name that instills fear in one's heart. Yes, "Cooter" may beat his wife. But above all else Cooter is the guy that has chewing tobacco, beer and sweat stains on his Hanes tank top (hence the "wife beater"), brown teeth with gunk between them and you're worried he's going to give you or your kid lice so you tell Jr. to stay away from him and his trailer. Cooter is not the name of the villain in the story. He's the guy that grosses you out so much you laugh at him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven and Hell.

01/14/2012 "Um, is it just me or does Sam make absolutely no sense when he's speaking?"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Loved it very much, Katie! It's more character driven and there is not a lot of action. But it was very emotional.

Katie Character driven books are my favorite! I've given my brain a Kristen Ashley break but I'm ready for more.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Katie wrote: "Character driven books are my favorite! I've given my brain a Kristen Ashley break but I'm ready for more."

I hope you're going to enjoy it, Katie! :)

Jolyn I hope you are loving it!!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Good review!

Jolyn I didn't notice any editing problems.. You read it on the kindle?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Good review, Katie! I loved Heaven and Hell very much! But a review always reflects a reader’s opinion, and everyone’s opinion is bound to be subjective. I think that's alright. :)

Katie Jolyn wrote: "I didn't notice any editing problems.. You read it on the kindle?"

Yep, read both the sample on smashwords, then purchased the entire book on Amazon for kindle. My biggest problem, actually my only problem was the run on sentences with Sam's dialogue. The characters and story was great.

Jolyn I hate that.. I must have not been paying enough attention. I'm on a KA break.. Maybe

message 10: by Crista (new)

Crista Hilarious review Katie! I haven't started this author yet......but I'm going to! I think I'll start with the Colorado Mountain series since everyone tends to love those books.

message 11: by Splage (last edited Jan 18, 2012 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Splage Hysterical!! I am so on board with you with this book. Even down to the quote which I had to read a couple of times. Not my favorite, but I still enjoyed it.

I don't think KA is writing so fast and furious, but more she has written these stories over a very long period of time and is throwing them all out at once. I thought I read that somewhere, so don't quote me on that.

Taryn at My Secret Romance LOVED LOVED Your review! It was great! I dated a boy in middle school and his last name was Kuttamen (sp). But everyone called him "cooterman". LOL